Transforming Wilmington Hospital
For more information or help with the emebedded map, visit the Google Earth user guide.
Christiana Care Health System is expanding and renovating its Wilmington Hospital campus—a $210 million investment that helps us continue building a healthy community for our neighbors in the city of Wilmington and will add nearly 600 jobs. The hospital will remain fully operational during construction.
Investing in the next century of service to the community
The Wilmington Hospital Campus has been Christiana Care Health System's anchor since 1888. It is a monument to 120 years of dedication that continues to this day.
"For more than a century, Christiana Care's Wilmington Hospital has served the Wilmington Community, meeting its diverse medical needs and providing a safety net for the underserved," says Robert J. Laskowski, M.D., MBA, President and CEO, Christiana Care Health System. "The transformation of our Wilmington Campus continues our commitment to serve our community and to ensure that our neighbors can access and receive the highest level of care and comfort for decades to come."
Wilmington Hospital will grow by 337,000 square feet, creating a 1 million-square-foot, state-of-the-art medical center. Groundbreaking for the project was April 20, 2009, and when completed in 2014, the expansion will include:
- A nine-story, 286,000-square-foot tower.
- An expanded Emergency Department that's double its current size.
- A new surgical suite, including 13 operating rooms and four procedure rooms.
- The capacity for 120 private patient rooms.
- A new intensive-care unit.
- An expanded, 30-bed unit for the Center for Advanced Joint Replacement.
- A 51,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art medical office building, allowing more physicians to practice on-site.
- A new main lobby entry repositioned on Jefferson Street, with an enclosed connector to the parking garage.
- A tranquil atrium and healing garden.